liebster award

liebster award

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sequences and Series Unit

For me, the sequence and series unit is the third unit we will cover this year in Algebra 2.  I like this unit, because ideally students should be pretty comfortable with linear and exponential equations already (from Algebra 1).  Because of this, my assumption last year was that I didn't need to spend much time reviewing explicit (or as I called them, "function"-al equations).  This was a mistake, I figured out after the unit was done. I'm making changes to prevent the mistake and timing of figuring it out.  

As I am going to be trying to create and use an interactive notebook system with the students in Algebra 2 this year, I figured it would be nice to create a set of cards which I could use with this unit.  My thoughts progressed and as of now I am planning on using 3 different sets of cards, one of which is a set I made for Algebra 1 + 2 last year that only includes graphs. 


One of the other sets will be one in which tables and equations are to be sorted by whether they are linear, exponential or other.  In this way I can get the students looking at 3 of the different representations linear and exponential equations can have. 


The last set includes finite and infinite sequences.  There are 40 cards and most of them are arithmatic or geometric sequences.  (I debated including some non-arithmatic, non-geometric sequences and decided that an other category is a good thing because it allows me to more easily differentiate the instruction for students who need a challenge).  I figure this same set of cards can be used for series as well as sequences, with 2 dice used to identify the upper and lower values for summation. 


I haven't actually written the interactive notebook pages to go along with these card activities, though I do have an idea about what they will likely look like.  I am hoping to get to those pages sometime in the next 2 weeks, though.


sequence and series cards


Feel free to look at them, criticize them, use them.  If you have suggestions, please let me know.  

2 comments:

  1. I used ISN's last year and they went pretty good. I used the ISN packet from RUNDES ROOM on TPT for a base and went from there. She has loads of stuff on organization and how to implement the notebooks.

    I would suggest if you have not done them before allow them a day to "decorate" their journals. THey take more pride in them when it's not a boring notebook.

    Cheers,
    Jameson
    Lessons With Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a look at your cards. I am starting INB's next year as well and I'm eager to have some envelopes with cards as left hand pages with analysis questions to answer on the page as well. I'm working on an envelope template page to post which will include directions and hold cards as large as 3"x5". It should be up tonight or tomorrow.

    Looking at the first set, I liked the variety of equations you used. Have you considered making the tables and graphs in pairs so students could either work from the tables or from the functions to understand the other representation? At first, I thought that was the point and couldn't figure out why I wasn't finding a match for the first card I considered, but then I reread your post and realized that wasn't what you'd intended. Just my two cents!

    Kathryn
    iisanumber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete