liebster award

liebster award

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Unit One Algebra 2 Univariate Data Analysis

In considering going to Standards Based Grading (SBG) I contemplated how I would evaluate standards and realized pretty quickly that I first had to figure out what standards I would be assessing.  I have a list of goals from last year and I am going to attempt to classify each as a P (primary) or S (secondary) goal.  My opinion is that primary goals are ones which MUST be completed at a higher level. 
Univariate Data Analysis
Goals:
(S) Represent data with plots on the real number line (dot plots, histograms, and box plots).
(P) Use statistics appropriate to the shape of the data distribution to compare center (median, mean) and spread (interquartile range, standard deviation) of two or more different data sets.
(S) Recognize possible associations and trends in the data.
(S) Interpret differences in shape, center, and spread in the context of the data sets, accounting for possible effects of extreme data points (outliers).
(P) Use the mean and standard deviation of a data set to fit it to a normal distribution and to estimate population percentages.
(P) Use calculators, spreadsheets, and tables to estimate areas under the normal curve.
(S) Represent data on two quantitative variables on a scatter plot, and describe how the variables are related.
(S) Summarize categorical data for two categories in two-way frequency tables.
(S) Interpret relative frequencies in the context of the data (including joint, marginal, and conditional relative frequencies).
(P) Informally assess the fit of a function by plotting and analyzing residuals.
(S) Fit a function to the data; use functions fitted to data to solve problems in the context of the data. Emphasize linear, quadratic, and exponential models.
My decision on which are primary vs secondary was based upon consideration of what kind of questions I recall being on the assessment we created last year.  Though given the rigor which Smarter Balanced/ PAARC seems to be requiring I may decide to make some changes with them as well. 

It appears I have identified 4 primary and 7 secondary goals for this unit.  At first glance this seems to be a bigger number than I want to assess (and reassess).   I think I will try to reduce my number of secondary goals to 2-3.  Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my goals for this unit so that some of them are more inclusive of other goals.  I'm also thinking that I should translate these goals into more "kid friendly" language.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment